Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book 52 (52!!!) Gone Girl


So I have finally done it, on my third try I finally managed to read 52 books in a year. I am glad that I chose Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl" to finish off with, it was a great read, one that I couldn't wait to get back to reading and one that I was sad that it had to end as well. I have already bought a couple more of Flynn's books for my kindle app and I am looking forward to reading them for CBRV next year. 

Ok, so I just had to read this book after reading all the buzz about it on the CBR4 blog. Everyone promised me an engaging page turner with plot twists, intrigue and some fear mixed into the batter as well. I was not disappointed. It is definitely the type of book that you want to go in unspoiled as there are some twists and turns and it is way more fun if you go in blind. 


I will give you a few details however. On the surface it is about a woman (Amy) who goes missing on her 5th wedding anniversary. Her husband Nick is shocked and upset about this turn of events, but doesn't always show emotions the way that most people seem to do so he is quickly seen as a suspect in her disappearance.  

As the book goes on, we get to know Nick and Amy as a couple. The book alternates between his point of view and hers (told mostly through diary entries). This allows us to get to know both characters and it is an interesting portrait of a relationship as well. Nick and Amy have moved from New York to Nick's home town of Missouri in order to look after Nick's ailing mother, although they have both lost their jobs due to the decline of jobs in the magazine industry. Much of the town is also in decline, Flynn tells us of a place where all jobs have been taken away for various reasons. Although it rings true, her prose made me see a place almost like a ghost town where little hope for the future exists. There is a section that takes us to the abandoned mall, where many of the town's homeless live. I find abandoned malls eerily fascinating so I was pleased to read about one here.

As I said, there are a few juicy twists and turns and Flynn's writing really sucked me in and I really enjoyed the ride. I am glad that I jumped on the bandwagon for this one and I am looking forward to reading more of Flynn's books next year. 

YAY ALL DONE!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment