Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Alli's CBR-III Review #2 - Unsweetined

I have a few trashy biographies on my book list for this year and Jodi Sweetin's unfortunately titled "Unsweetined" was the first on my list. It was a quick pleasant read, even with the darker times in her life, Sweetin (and her writer Jon Warech) keep the tone light and the pace fast.

Sweetin has been in the spotlight since a very young age. She has encountered a lot of addiction in her short time on this earth and recounts it all in a fair amount of detail. There is no real reason for her problems, other than an attempt to explain them as genetic. I can't say that I blame her for living the way that she has, imagine being rich and successful and having it all end at 13 years of age. Then, having never learned to make friends, taking them in any way that you can get them, even if they are just using you for your drugs and partying.

The most shocking part is that she toured colleges promoting her sobriety while still being deep in her addiction. It makes me really wonder if she is being honest about her recovery this time. One hopes that for her daughter's sake that she has it all figured out.

Addiction and recovery are a life long process and I wish Sweetin the best in her recovery efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment