Thursday, August 25, 2011

Alli's CBR-III Review #29 - The Perfect Age

I finished reading "The Perfect Age" by Heather Skyler a week or so ago but I haven't gotten around to writing it up yet. Things have been hectic, and I also don't have a heck of a lot to say about it. I read it in the pool, as seen above, and for a summer read it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't that great either.

One thing that bugs me a bit is that this book takes place over three summers so the title is kind of a misnomer. I guess what it might be trying to say is that any age is the perfect age to fall in love, but that is not really what the book is about. It centers around teenager Helen and her Mother Kathy. It also tells parts of the story from the point of view of Helen's boyfriend and Helen's father.

Early on in the story, Kathy starts an affair with Helen's boss at the Dunes hotel pool in Las Vegas. Infidelity is a large theme in this book overall. What I took away from it is that everybody cheats, not that this is true in real life, but in this book's universe it seems to be the case.

We follow our main characters through the above mentioned three summers, it is a pivotal time in Helen's life, growing up and getting ready to leave the nest. It also explores first love and how big it can seem at the time, but how difficult it is sometimes to move on when your life takes you in different directions.

All in all, it was a good way to pass the time while I floated in the pool, but other than that, I was not terribly impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment