Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Book 43 - High Before Homeroom


I haven't written a review in forever it seems, I have really stalled on the reading, I now only have 9 books to go and I am already discouraged that I once again will not meet my goal. To add insult to injury, when I returned this book to the library they say I returned it wet and are charging me $30 to replace it. I am pretty upset about this as I take care of the books that I borrow and I don't really want to pay $30 for something that I didn't do. So I need to go into the library and talk with a supervisor, but I haven't had the time as I have been swamped in my personal life.


All that aside, I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and haven't taken the time to write up a review. "High Before Homeroom" by Maya Sloan is the tale of lovable loser Doug and the lengths that he goes to in order to change his image in the pursuit of "the girl". In this case, the girl he is infatuated with loves a bad boy, so he decides to get himself a nice little drug addiction in order to change his life.

I really enjoyed reading this one, it has the moral of an after-school special but it arrives there in an entertaining manner and it is not totally PG about the whole situation either. However, the parent in me has to say that the downfall of a drug addiction is not spelled out clearly enough, but at the end of the day it is just a fun little story told in a clever way so I will take it at face value.

No comments:

Post a Comment