Thursday, June 28, 2012

Book 30 - Eating the Dinosaur

I recently have been rewatching "The OC" (Don't judge me!) and Seth Cohen was reading "Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" and that title alone seemed quite interesting but my library didn't have it so I decided to read "Eating the Dinosaur" by Chuck Klosterman instead as it seemed intriguing as well. Even though it is not a buther's guide to dinosaur meat, it is still a highly entertaining set of essays on a variety of topics that I highly enjoyed (except for the two about sports, but that is only because I hate sports).

Starting out with a discussion about interviews and the reasons why people subject themselves to it, then going into a comparison between Cobain and Koresh then touching on time travel from a realistic standpoint. I particularily enjoyed the ABBA essay (perhaps because it followed one of the sports ones, and in that essay it said if you don't like sports then skip to the ABBA essay and I was sure tempted to do so). Did you know ABBA was offered a BILLION dollars to reunite and yet they still refused. I agree with Klosterman that it was probably a wise choice as what act could ever live up to the hype of a billion dollar tour?

Klosterman offers insight, humor and intelligence to pop cutlure topics and I am very much looking forward to reading more of his works in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment