Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book 23 - The Odds

While browsing the library my eye was drawn to a book with a beautiful yet somber picture of Niagara falls and a rainbow on it. Since I rather enjoyed “Last Night at the Lobster”, as soon as I saw that it was by the same author, Stewart O’Nan, I snatched it up immediately. I am very glad that I did, and I will be seeking out more of his works in the future.

“The Odds” tells us that we are meeting a couple, Art and Marion on the last weekend of their marriage. Crippled by debt, they have come up with a plan to divorce, he will file for bankruptcy to save them both from the mess that they are in. As far as Art is concerned it will be only on paper, Marion is not so sure. Adding to their marital strain, both have histories of infidelity, although only his is known to them both.

They are taking their last dollars to Niagara Falls, Art has a gambling system picked out and they plan to try and gamble their way out of debt if they can, otherwise the aforementioned split and bankruptcy will take place. Niagara was the destination of their honeymoon, and Art has a series of activities planned to try and make the most of the situation. Marion is more world weary, but suffers through all the touristy stuff and makes the best of it that she can.

It is an excellent character study of an older married couple, short in pages but not short in content. Vividly described, this book made me feel that I was at Niagara, I could see it in my mind, although I have never been there. I would recommend reading this one for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment