Sunday, November 1, 2009

Book Two - Wishful Drinking

I was at the grocery store yesterday and this book was on sale, it was thin and it looked funny, so I went ahead and bought it. I will probably regret it when I run out of gas money next week. but what are you gonna do?

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher was an easy and entertaining read. Her sense of humor radiates from every page. It is a quick overview of main highlights of her crazy life. I really enjoyed it, I like to read biographies, but I find that sometimes they are much too lengthy and difficult to get into. This one may have leaned too far on the brief side, as I enjoyed her writing style very much and would have loved to have continued to read about her. I guess I will have to read some more of her work.


There were many passages that I had to read aloud to my boyfriend, inside info about W from her friends, "toys" as Christmas presents from her mother, as well as this wonderful quote: "You know how they say that religion is the opiate of the masses? Well, I took masses of opiates religiously". She touches on her experiences with mental illness (including ECT), alcoholism, marriages and having celebrity parents. And all of this in 163 pages. It is a lot to cover in that short time, and sometimes it does feel a bit rushed.

Definitely one that I would recommend to anyone looking for a laugh and commiseration. If you haven't learned the lesson that you can make it through the worst of times and find the sense of humor in it, then read this one and you should have it figured out by then.

2 comments:

  1. see, i would love to read that. i Loved postcards from the edge (both the book and the movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to reading Postcards now after having enjoyed this one so much!

    ReplyDelete